Import approval must still be gained, however, the vehicle does not have to have been owned or used by the importer overseas for more than 12 months.
Please note – we cannot accept left-hand drive cars for shipment.
How To Apply
Applications can be made online at via the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.
Then, dependent on vehicle type, complete the addendums:
- Personal Import (Car)
- Cars Manufactured prior to 1989
If completing the application forms online, you have the facility to pay online with your submission.
Alternatively, you can send a manual application to the following address:
The Administrator of Vehicle Standards
Vehicle Safety Standards
Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
GPO Box 954
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Phone: 1800 815 272 (If calling within Australia)
Phone: +61 2 6274 7444 (If calling outside of Australia)
If a manual application is made, please forward the completed forms by post and include a cheque or money order for the $50 non-refundable service fee in Australian dollars from an Australian financial institution.
Applications may be made before you arrive in Australia (although you must still meet the 12-month qualifying period prior to applying). Alternatively, applications may be made up to 6 months after you arrive in Australia.
To apply for a vehicle import approval under the personal imports option, you should provide the following:
● A completed application form. Ensure you include the year, make, model and vehicle identification number (VIN);
● A $50 non-refundable lodgement fee. Payment options are set out in the application form (credit card (visa or mastercard only) for online payments. Cheque or money order in Australian dollars and Australian financial institution are accepted for manual payments).
● Purchase document for the vehicle in your name (a purchase document can be a pro-form invoice/receipt for deposit or full payment).
● A copy of your international or overseas driver’s license;
● A copy of the registration documents for the vehicle (for the qualifying period), in your name;
● A statement of travel prepared by you, listing any international travel you undertook during the qualifying period. In particular, the statement is to set out any absences from your country of residence. If travel was for business reasons, you should supply a letter to that effect from your employer;
● A copy of the identity page of your passport. If you hold dual passports, you should provide a copy of both passport identity pages;
● A copy of your current Australian permanent resident visa if you are not a citizen;
● If you have applied previously you will need to quote your previous application number.
This information is meant as a guide only and is not definitive. As destination regulations are subject to change without notice, we strongly urge you to obtain updated information from: